Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Established in 1981, the Garvan Research Foundation is the fundraising and marketing arm of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, tasked with raising and administering vital funds from individuals, Trusts and Foundations and corporate and community groups. The Foundation also delivers Garvan’s public engagement and awareness activities. These educate and advocate the need for and importance of Garvan's medical research as well as share news of its progress with the broader community.
The Foundation’s income has grown from a fundraising base of $110,000 in its first year to more than $40 million in 2018. The Foundation strategy has the following objectives:
- To increase sustainable annual income to $50,000,000
- To increase the number of known Partners for the Future (bequestors) to 1,000
- To double awareness in the next 3 years
The success of the Foundation’s awareness campaigns and fundraising activities will allow Garvan’s scientists to make discoveries which will ultimately lead to earlier diagnosis, better treatments, and prevention or cure of a range of diseases.
The key purpose and core responsibility of the role is to lead the development of content initiatives in all forms to drive awareness of Garvan, demonstrate its scientific excellence, increase understanding of what it does and increase support for its research. The Marketing and Communications team objectives are aligned with the Fundraising and Philanthropy teams’ objectives. All Marketing and Communication team members provide crucial support to helping those teams achieve their supporter acquisition, engagement, retention and conversion objectives and income targets.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is a diverse and dynamic role. Responsible for managing the Garvan Institute’s social media channels – Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn – and establishing the Instagram account, as well as developing content – repurposing existing content for newsletters, stories, magazines and videos, design collateral, infographics etc – to support the activities of the Institute.
The key responsibilities include:
- Development and scheduling of all social media content
- Work closely with the Senior Digital Campaigns Coordinator to support existing social media campaigns and digital fundraising
- Repurpose existing content into written collateral including Garvan’s breakthrough newsletter, fact sheets, and 2 pagers
- Develop support collateral and assets for communications initiatives
- Work with the Garvan Research Foundation’s video production company to develop a suite of animations to support the strategic campaigns and strategic priorities
- Other administrative duties as required
- All staff are required to comply with Garvan’s Work Health & Safety (WHS) Policy and work in accordance with the WHS management system at all times.
- Comply with all other Foundation and Institute policies and procedures.
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications or related discipline.
- Significant experience in ideation, scripting, storyboarding, managing production of videos
- Design skills and ability to creatively develop creative assets (eg. for social media, 2 pagers, fact sheets)
- Significant experience managing social media channels – content and community management
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and confidence in public speaking
- High level of accuracy and eye for detail in all completed work
- Professional interpersonal skills and presentation
- Ability to independently plan and implement communications campaigns
- Able to manage own time to achieve all outcomes, the ability to prioritise and organise a busy workload
- Able to effectively communicate equally with co-workers, members of the public, media, management and Board members, donors and other stakeholders
- High level computer skills (Adobe and MS Office)
- Self-motivated and works autonomously, using initiative when required
- A proven capability to deal with confidential information
- Ability to work cooperatively in a small team.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria above
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
We are reviewing applications as we receive them so don't wait to apply!