Animal Technician - Australian BioResources Facility, Moss Vale
Moss Vale, NSW
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
The Australian BioResources Facility, owned and operated by the Garvan, breeds high quality laboratory mice for Garvan’s medical research programmes. This facility, based in Moss Vale in the Southern Highlands, uses advanced technology to provide an optimal environment for the production of high quality animals for medical research.
We are currently seeking a talented and reliable Animal Technician for the Australian BioResources Facility. The principle responsibilities of this position involve the breeding, maintenance and care of inbred and genetically manipulated mouse colonies within a clean room environment.
To secure this opportunity, the successful applicant will need to possess the following skills and attributes:
- A firm commitment to animal welfare and care
- Strong customer focus and commitment to quality
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with colleagues
- Be meticulous in attention to detail
- Strong organisational skills
- A high level of reliability
- Ability and motivation to develop new skills and learn new procedures
- Relevant tertiary qualifications
- Experience in the laboratory animal field
- A basic knowledge of veterinary and medical terminology
- Basic manipulation skills (e.g. injection and blood collection)
The position is a 1-year fixed term position based in Moss Vale, with a possibility of renewal. The successful applicant must be available to participate in weekend work and public holiday rosters.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
The closing date for applications is 10 June 2018. Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.